Recent medical studies show that mold is one of the most common causes of allergic symptoms and certain types of mold can cause health disorders. If a structure has visible mold, a strong musty odor, moisture problems, or high humidity problems, mold sampling should be completed. Our inspectors can perform an Indoor Air Quality test or take Surface Samples to determine types of mold present, amount of mold present, and if any health risks exist. Samples are sent to a professional laboratory for analysis and a report will be issued in 3-5 business days.
It is also important to understand why mold is growing in a home. Our inspectors can tell you possible reasons why the home is experiencing a problem with mold growth and what repairs are needed to eliminate mold growth in the home.
We know mold testing can be confusing! Please read about the different types of testing CalPro offers and the pricing for each option. You can also look over our easy to understand sample report. If you are unsure what type of testing to have conducted, your CalPro inspector can help you decide onsite, just let our office know!
Surface Testing $175*
If visible mold is present in the home, your CalPro inspector can take a surface sample at the area in question. Surface testing includes one physical sample taken at the affected area. If multiple affected areas are present, additional samples may be needed for accuracy.
A surface test will tell you:
• What types of harmful indoor molds, if any, are present in the test area.
• If any spore exposure risks are present for the occupants due to mold growth.
• If the area is "current growth" or "former growth" caused by water intrusion or humidity problems.
Surface testing is recommended when:
• There is visible or suspected mold present.
• An area that has had previous clean up or removal of mold.
Indoor Air Quality Testing $250*
Some moisture problems and/or mold problems may not be visible and it is important to know that some molds may release spores into the indoor breathing air. Indoor air quality testing includes 1 indoor air sample in the affected area and 1 control/baseline sample on the exterior of the structure. Indoor air samples are recommended at approximately every 800-1000 sq ft. If the affected area is larger than 800-1000 sq ft, or if multiple levels in the structure are of concern, additional samples may be needed.
An air quality test will tell you:
• If an abnormal number of harmful spores are present in the indoor air.
• If indoor mold counts are normal and do not pose a risk to indoor air quality.
• If there are possible hidden areas of mold growth, water intrusion, or humidity problems.
Indoor air quality testing is recommended when:
• There is a concerning musty odor in the home.
• Mold or suspected mold growth is visible in the home.
• There was a past water intrusion problem.
• An occupant of the home is predisposed to respiratory distress.
• You want to verify the effectiveness of mold remediation.
Air/Surface Package $270*
This package includes 1 indoor air sample, 1 control/baseline sample on the exterior, and 1 surface test in the affected area. Some molds will release spores into the air and some will not. Combining air and surface testing will ensure that the affected area is properly analyzed.
Each Additional Surface/Air Sample $30
*Trip Fee (if testing not completed during a home inspection) $50